Graduation Fee

The graduation fee will be posted to your student account. Once posted, payment should be made to the Cashiers and Student Accounts Office.

Fees for each degree are:

Master’s and Specialist in Education $70
Combined M.S./Ed.S. $85
Doctorate $70
Certificate No Charge


Diplomas will be engraved according to the name and degree listed on your University record. Diplomas will be mailed in late June to the address provided on your Application for Graduation unless a new address is provided to The Graduate School. Updating your address in UNCGenie does NOT change where your diploma will be mailed.

Final Plans of Study for Master’s, Ed.S. and Certificate Candidates

If changes have been made to the Plan of Study, you must submit the revised plan by the end of the third week of classes. Degree audits will not be processed without a plan of study. You should keep a copy of the final Plan of Study for your records.

Spring 2017 Deadlines for Doctoral Candidates

Tuesday, January 24 Deadline to submit application for all students completing degree requirements during the 2017 Spring Semester.
Wednesday, March 22 Final date for oral examination in defense of dissertation for doctoral candidates. Final Oral Examination Schedule form must be filed with The Graduate School two weeks prior to examination.
Wednesday, March 29 Deadline to submit online dissertation and original signed title and approval pages to The Graduate School for approval.
Wednesday, May 3 Final date for complete clearance of summer candidates for degrees, including online submission of approved dissertation to The Graduate School (late copies will NOT be accepted) and payment of fees owed the University.


Spring 2017 Deadlines for Master’s and Ed.S. Candidates

Tuesday, January 24 Deadline to submit application for all students completing program requirements during 2017 Spring Semester.
Friday, February 3 Deadline to submit revised Plan of Study if changes made to original.
Tuesday, April 11 Deadline to submit electronic thesis to The Graduate School for approval.
Wednesday, May 3 Final date for complete clearance of summer candidates for degrees, including submission of approved online thesis and original signed title and approval pages to The Graduate School (late copies will NOT be accepted) and payment of fees owed the University.

Master’s and Specialist candidates should check with their major department for specific dates of comprehensive examinations and oral examinations (if required).

*See the University calendar for future deadlines.

Formatting and Submission of Thesis/Dissertation

The thesis/dissertation must conform to rules established by the Graduate Studies Committee in the “Guide for Preparation of Theses and Dissertations.” The guide can be printed from The Graduate School’s web site or paper copies can be obtained from the office at no cost. Please note that the process for submitting the thesis/dissertation to The Graduate School has two components: submitting the approval copy and submitting the final copy. Be sure to note the specific instructions and deadline dates affiliated with each step.

Registration in the Final Term

Students who are completing a thesis or a dissertation must be enrolled in thesis/dissertation preparation (699/799) or thesis/dissertation extension (801/802) during the semester in which they complete their graduate work and are scheduled to receive their degree. If a master’s candidate has already registered for all required hours of 699 but is continuing to work on their thesis, they will enroll in 801 (example: ART 801-Thesis Extension). Doctoral candidates who have registered for all required hours of 799 will enroll in 802 (example: ENG 802-Dissertation Extension). For a full explanation of this policy, see The Graduate School Bulletin.

Removal of Incomplete Grades

No grade of incomplete (I) may be carried beyond graduation, including incompletes in courses not required for the degree. If a final grade has not been recorded by the deadline date for degree clearance, you may not be eligible to graduate. A GRADE OF I CANNOT BE REMOVED WITH A GRADE OF W.

For Students Seeking Professional School Licensure

If you are seeking professional school licensure or an upgrade to your current licensure, you should fill out the graduate licensure application located under PDF Documents located at The Graduate School does not provide Plans of Study for this purpose. It is your responsibility to keep a copy of the final Plan of Study for your records.