Frequently Asked Questions


What is the UNCG Graduate School mailing address?

The Graduate School
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
1202 Spring Garden Street
270 Mossman Building
Greensboro, NC 27412

Do I have to enroll in a program if I just want to take a course or two?

Our Non-Degree Studies program is designed just for that purpose. If you need to renew your teacher licensure, or wish to take a class in order to determine whether you want to apply to a program, or even if you just have a love of learning, a Non-Degree application may be the answer for you. Just complete the online enrollment form, and submit it with the appropriate fee. You do not need to submit recommendations or test scores. Please be aware that not all courses are available to Non-Degree students. Check with the department before enrolling in a class.

Does it matter if I apply early?

Yes. Your application is processed as soon as it is received. By applying early, we can resolve any problems that may occur with plenty of time left before the beginning of the term. Remember that The Graduate School will process around 6,000 applications. As deadlines approach, it becomes much more difficult to give individual attention to details that may not be 100% accurate.

What qualifications do I need to apply to graduate school at UNCG?

For specific program requirements visit the programs page.

I have a degree from the U.S. / my native language is English, can the ELP scores (TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo) be waived?

Yes, once your application is complete your admissions specialist will waive your test score.

How long are test scores (GRE, GMAT, MAT, TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) valid?

If the program to which you are applying requires entrance exam scores (GRE, GMAT, or MAT), the exam must have been taken within the past 5 years. English language proficiency exams (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) must have been taken within the past 2 years.

Can I get a GRE waiver?

That is up to the discretion of the department, please reach out to the department.

I have earned a degree from an international institution. If/When do I need to submit a credential evaluation?

NACES course by course evaluation is required at the time of application for any applicant that has earned a degree from a non US institution.  

What is the difference between official and unofficial transcripts?

Official transcripts have the original seal of the University Registrar and reflect the degree awarded (if any), with no in-progress coursework. Official transcripts are sent directly to one university by the issuing institution, either electronically or by mail. Official transcripts may also be hand-delivered to The Graduate School in a sealed college or university envelope.

Unofficial transcripts are copies issued to a student to document their career at an institution. These may be uploaded to your application as part of the application process. However, if you are admitted to a graduate degree program at UNCG, you must request that official transcripts be sent to The Graduate School within the first semester of your admission.

NOTE: Advising transcripts downloaded via the internet are not accepted for the application process.

What if my credentials are sent to your office at different times?

Credentials received by mail are placed in our filing system, and will be matched up with the application once it has been submitted. Unless admitted, credentials are held for one year only. If credentials are sent after your application has been received, the documents are uploaded to the application once they are entered into our database. We do ask, however, that you try to submit all required credentials in a timely fashion.

Are application fee waivers available?

Application fee waivers are offered for Ronald McNair (including TRIO) Scholars, MARC U-STAR Scholars, RISE Network participants, STAMPS STEM student, Mellon Mays UG Fellows and full-time UNCG employees only.

How do I change information on an application (major, term, concentration, etc..)

Log into your application and click on the form titled: Request to Change information on a Submitted Application.

How do I change my recommenders or update my recommenders contact information on my application?

Log into your application and click ‘edit’ beside the name of the recommender, then click ‘exclude,’ and then click ‘add new.’

What happens to my application after you receive it?

Once an application has been received, it is reviewed to determine which credentials have been uploaded by the applicant, and what credentials are needed in order for the application to be considered complete. Official test scores, official transcripts, and recommendations which were sent directly to the Graduate School are then uploaded to the application. Once the application is complete, the department is able to review your application. If the department recommends that you be admitted into the program, the Dean of the Graduate School will conduct a final review of your credentials, and will make the final determination of eligibility. Once a decision has been made, the Graduate School will notify you by e-mail. All credentials submitted become the property of the Graduate School and are not returned to the applicant.

I have turned in everything, why did I get an incomplete application email?

Your admissions specialist has two weeks from the date that we received your final application material to review your application. The incomplete application material is automated, so please disregard it if you have turned in all required materials.

When will I get a decision on my application?

The Graduate School does not make admissions decisions, this is up to each individual department. Please reach out to your department for an estimated time frame.

I have completed course work at UNCG before. Do I need official transcripts sent to the Graduate School from UNCG?

No. This information is available to our admitting office, and does not need to be officially requested. Check with the Registrar’s office if you have questions about your academic history with UNCG.

Where can I find a list of online degree programs?

Can I speak with an advisor?

Prospective students can speak to an advisor within the department of interest about the specifics of a program. We will be happy to provide you with contact information for the department to which you are applying. You can also find contact information by going to

I'm considering transferring from another university to complete my graduate work at UNC Greensboro. Will all my classes transfer as credit?

Degree students may transfer up to 1/3 of the minimum number of (non-dissertation) hours required by the program. Certificate students may transfer up to 3 hours. Transfer credit is accepted at the discretion of the department and with the approval of The Graduate School. All transfer credit must meet Graduate School policies (UNCG Catalog).

What is the Greater Greensboro Consortium?

Through this program students can take classes at other area colleges and universities while remaining a full time student at their primary institution. The University Registrar’s website has more information about this program.

Enrolled Students

What is the cost of tuition and fees?

I need my advising code.

Please reach out to your advisor.

What is considered full-time status?

Graduate students enrolled in nine or more credit hours per term are considered full-time. After completing all required course work, a master’s student may be considered full-time while enrolled in a 3 credit hour thesis course (699). Master’s students may maintain full-time status with 3 credits of 699 for two terms.

After entering candidacy status, a doctoral student may be considered full-time while enrolled in a 3 credit hour dissertation course (799). Doctoral candidates may maintain full-time status with 3 credits of 799 until completion of the number of dissertation credit hours specified by their programs in the Graduate School Bulletin or their departmental plan of study.

Who should I contact regarding immunization records and student insurance questions?

Visit the Student Health Services website or call 336-334-5340

How long do I have to complete my degree?

Master’s degrees have a time limit of 5 years from the semester the student takes the first course that counts towards the degree

Doctoral degrees have a time limit of 7 years if admitted post-master’s and 10 years if admitted directly from a baccalaureate degree.