Graduate Grading Scale
Plus/minus grades are incorporated into the GPA for all graduate level courses according to the following scale:

Grade Grade Points Awarded Per Hour of Credit
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
F/WF 0.0
NR 0.0
  • Grades of NR, not reported, are assigned in instances in which the instructor does not report a grade and the semester has officially closed.
  • Grades of S, satisfactory, or U, unsatisfactory, are reported on all workshops and institutes, and certain seminars, field projects, internships, practica, music groups, and others.
  • The grade point average is determined by dividing the accumulated number of grade points earned by the accumulated number of semester hours undertaken. Hours attempted but not passed must be included in this calculation. Courses graded S/U and courses transferred from another institution (except those courses taken through cross registration) may not be used in determining the UNCG grade point average.
  • If a student receives a course grade other than Incomplete (I) and later submits additional work (whether that work is specified in the syllabus or not) after grades are posted, this work cannot be used as a basis for changing the assigned grade. Except for independent study or where specific provision is made in the course description, no student may repeat for credit a course for which he/she has earned credit. If a student repeats such a course, the grade will be recorded on the transcript, but no additional credit will be allowed toward graduation or toward the grade point average. A failing grade remains on the student’s academic record permanently.

Withdrawal from a Program or a Course
Graduate students who must withdraw from the University may do so by dropping all courses online through UNCGenie until the last day to drop without academic penalty. Students whose registration for all courses is cancelled must seek reactivation or readmission through The Graduate School to return to school in subsequent terms.

After the deadline to withdraw without penalty, and no later than the last day of classes, a Withdrawal (W) may be granted only with the permission of the Vice Provost and Dean of The Graduate School and if status in the course at the time of withdrawal is satisfactory. If the student is in failing status at the time of withdrawal, a grade of Withdrawal Failing (WF) is given. A course abandoned with insufficient reason for withdrawal is assigned the grade of F. In certain cases, faculty may initiate the withdrawal procedure for cause.

Incomplete (Graduate)
The symbol I indicates inability, for reasons beyond the student’s control, to complete course requirements by the end of the term in which the course was offered. The Incomplete may be removed by completion of the deferred requirements within six months from the last day of examinations in the term in which the course was taken. An Incomplete not removed within this time limit automatically becomes an F. A grade of I on any course, including work not required for the student’s program, must be removed before graduation. A grade of I cannot be removed with a grade of W.

In the case of a thesis, master’s production, or dissertation in progress, a grade of In Progress (IP) will be recorded each semester of registration for credit until completion of the thesis, master’s production, or dissertation, when a final grade of Satisfactory (S) will be assigned. Extension of thesis, research extension, and extension of dissertation courses also may be graded with IP on a limited basis, but faculty advisers may be required to provide documentation of the student’s satisfactory progress toward completion of the program.

S-U Courses
Grades for the following courses are reported as Satisfactory (S) or Unsatisfactory (U):

  • All Practicum and Internship courses in Education and Library and Information Studies
  • All Workshops and Institutes
  • All thesis and dissertation courses (699, 799)
  • All 800-level courses (801, 802, 803)
  • Other courses as indicated in the departmental listings.