Alternative Licensure Programs
Persons who hold a baccalaureate degree (from a regionally accredited university/college) and would like to complete a non-degree licensure program in art, birth-kindergarten, dance, middle grades, music, special education, secondary, and health & physical education should contact the Alternative Licensure Advisor at (336) 334-3414.

See also: NC TEACH

Advanced Licensure
UNCG offers a number of options for advanced study in professional education. Master’s degree programs are offered in 26 professional licensure areas, including teaching, school counseling, media, administration, and social work. Several departments offer programs for students who have completed a bachelor’s degree but not a professional education program. Students in these programs earn a master’s degree along with initial licensure.

Departments also offer master’s degrees for students who hold initial teaching licensure but who would like to pursue advanced study in Education, Music, School Administration, Special Education, and School Counseling. Some departments have programs leading to Specialist in Education degrees and/or doctorates. Requirements for each program are aligned with the standards of its professional organization and the State Department of Public Instruction.

Upon completion of their programs, students should complete an online application for state licensure on the NC Department of Public Instruction website.

Graduate programs for the preparation of teachers and other professional school personnel are approved by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education and the North Carolina State Board of Education, which grants licensure as follows:

Master’s Licensure (“M”) Pre-Kindergarten (B-K)

  • Elementary Education
  • Elementary Math
  • Middle Grades Education
  • Secondary Education (English, Mathematics, Comprehensive Science, Comprehensive Social Studies)
  • Latin

K-12 Special Subject Areas

  • Dance, French, Music, Reading, Spanish, English as a Second Language
  • Exceptional Children (K-12)
  • Special Education with Licensure in Learning Disabilities or Behavior/Emotional Disabilities
  • Special Service Personnel
    • Media Coordinator
    • Media Supervision
    • School Administrator
    • School Counselor
    • School Social Work
    • Speech-Language Pathology
    • Instructional Technology Specialist

Post-Master’s Licensure

  • Cultural Foundations and Social Justice
  • Educational Leadership
  • Advanced School Counseling