Frequently Asked Questions

See the Guide to Graduate Admissions for information on general requirements. For specific program requirements visit the programs page.

Only if you are a Ronald McNair Scholar or a current UNCG employee.

Yes. Your application is processed as soon as it is received. By applying early, we can resolve any problems that may occur with plenty of time left before the beginning of the term. Remember that The Graduate School will process around 3500 applications. As deadlines approach, it becomes much more difficult to give individual attention to details that may not be 100% accurate.

If the program to which you are applying requires entrance exam scores (GRE, GMAT, or MAT), the exam must have been taken within the past 5 years. English language proficiency exams (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) must have been taken within the past 2 years.

Credentials received by mail are placed in our filing system, and will be matched up with the application once it has been submitted. Unless admitted, credentials are held for one year only. If credentials are sent after your application has been received, the documents are uploaded to the application once they are entered into our database. We do ask, however, that you try to submit all required credentials in a timely fashion.

Once an application has been received, it is reviewed to determine which credentials have been uploaded by the applicant, and what credentials are needed in order for the application to be considered complete. Official test scores, official transcripts, and recommendations which were sent directly to The Graduate School are then uploaded to the application. Once the application is complete, the department is able to review your application. If the department recommends that you be admitted into the program, the Vice Provost and Dean of The Graduate School will conduct a final review of your credentials, and will make the final determination of eligibility. Once a decision has been made, The Graduate School will notify you by e-mail. All credentials submitted become the property of The Graduate School and are not returned to the applicant.

No. This information is available to our admitting office, and does not need to be officially requested. Check with the Registrar’s office if you have questions about your academic history with UNCG.

Official transcripts have the original seal of the University Registrar and reflect the degree awarded (if any), with no in-progress coursework. Official transcripts are sent directly to one university by the issuing institution, either electronically or by mail. Official transcripts may also be hand-delivered to The Graduate School in a sealed college or university envelope.

Unofficial transcripts are copies issued to a student to document their career at an institution. These may be uploaded to your application as part of the application process. However, if you are admitted to a graduate degree program at UNCG, you must request that official transcripts be sent to The Graduate School within the first semester of your admission.

NOTE: Advising transcripts downloaded via the internet are not accepted for the application process.

Degree students may transfer up to 1/3 of the minimum number of (non-dissertation) hours required by the program. Certificate students may transfer up to 3 hours. Transfer credit is accepted at the discretion of the department and with the approval of The Graduate School. All transfer credit must meet Graduate School policies (UNCG Catalog).

The Graduate School
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
1202 Spring Garden Street
241 Mossman Building
Greensboro, NC 27412

Our Non-Degree Seeking program is designed just for that purpose. If you need to renew your teacher licensure, or wish to take a class in order to determine whether you want to apply to a program, or even if you just have a love of learning, a Non-Degree application may be the answer for you. Just complete the online enrollment form, and submit it with the appropriate fee. You do not need to submit transcripts, recommendations or test scores. Please be aware that not all courses are available to Non-Degree students. Check with the department before enrolling in a class.

Prospective students can speak to an advisor within the department of interest about the specifics of a program. We will be happy to provide you with contact information for the department to which you are applying. You can also find contact information by going to

Graduate students enrolled in nine or more credit hours per term are considered full-time. After completing all required course work, a master’s student may be considered full-time while enrolled in a 3 credit hour thesis course (699). Master’s students may maintain full-time status with 3 credits of 699 for two terms.

After entering candidacy status, a doctoral student may be considered full-time while enrolled in a 3 credit hour dissertation course (799). Doctoral candidates may maintain full-time status with 3 credits of 799 until completion of the number of dissertation credit hours specified by their programs in the Graduate School Bulletin or their departmental plan of study.

Master’s degrees have a time limit of 5 years from the semester the student takes the first course that counts towards the degree

Doctoral degrees have a time limit of 7 years if admitted post-master’s and 10 years if admitted directly from a baccalaureate degree.