UNC Greensboro welcomes applicants from around the world!
International applicants are defined as those who currently hold or are seeking an F1 visa or other non-immigrant visa category authorized to engage in full-time or part-time academic studies.
U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents (LPR), pending LPR, DACA, political asylees, refugees, or undocumented individuals, should apply as a domestic graduate applicant.
In addition to meeting The Graduate School’s General Application Requirements, international applicants must provide evidence of English Language Proficiency. All such credentials must be in English and unofficial copies may be uploaded to your student portal. Official transcripts must be submitted from the respective institutions directly to The Graduate School, prior to enrollment, should an offer of admission to UNCG be issued.
For I-20 and DS 2019 issuance, as required by USCIS, international applicants must also show evidence of sufficient funds, for a minimum of one year, to support one’s education and living expenses while at UNCG. Financial forms may be downloaded from within the graduate application or on The International Programs Center (IPC) webpage at: https://international.uncg.edu/about-ipc/forms-handbooks-policies/.
Students are strongly encouraged to apply early, at least one month prior to the program’s deadline, to allow for adequate processing time.
English Prerequisite to Registration
To be considered for direct admission, non-native speakers of English must validate proficiency in the English language by:
Minimum English Language Proficiency Scores Required:
TOEFL 79 IBT (Use code 5913)
**In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, we are accepting the TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition score
report for tests dates taken up through December 31, 2020 for Spring 2021 and Fall 2022 applicants.
The same IBT 79 is accepted for direct admission.
IELTS 6.5 Band Score ((Select, University of North Carolina Greensboro Graduate Admissions)
**In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, we are also accepting the IELTS Indicator (same 6.5 band
score) report for test dates taken up through December 31, 2020 for Spring 2021 and Fall 2022
PTE Academic 67
Exemptions from the ELP include:
- UNCG School of Education (SOE) Global Pathway Program
- Successful completion of INTERLINK Level 5. Students may apply directly on their own to INTERLINK on the UNCG campus
- Successful completion of the American Language Academy Level 5
- Successful completion of the Mentora College’s Intensive English Program
- The applicant is from a country where English is recognized as the primary, official language
- The applicant is or will be a graduate of a degree from an accredited university in the U.S.
- The applicant is or will be a graduate of an overseas college/university where English is the primary language of instruction.
Note: All new fully-admitted international students will undergo a UNCG administered English assessment. Students who may benefit from additional support services in reading, speaking, and writing will be notified of campus resources available to them. International Teaching Assistants may be asked to take ESL 631 before they may be assigned as an Instructor of Record.
Conditional Admission & SOE Global Pathway Program
Applicants who have not met the minimum English language proficiency score may apply for conditional admission. Simply check the Pathway Program on the graduate application.
If admitted conditionally, applicants must successfully complete the UNCG School of Education Global Pathway Program, which waives the English Language Proficiency score requirement.
The deadline for receipt of application and all supporting documents varies by department. Please check the guide to graduate admissions webpage for deadlines.
International applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their application early, at least 30 days prior to the posted departmental deadline to allow for additional processing time.
Applicants will be asked within the application if they would like to be considered for an assistantship by their academic department. Only direct admitted students are eligible for assistantships. Questions regarding assistantships should be directed to the respective academic department.
Visit the Institute of International Education scholarships website at: http://www.fundingusstudy.org/.
Overseas Academic Credentials
- All admitted international students are required to submit a final and official transcript evaluation demonstrating the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree requested from a NACES approved credit evaluation service. If using Spantran, click on SPANTRAN for the specific UNCG Graduate School form.
- For a transcript or diploma to be final and official, it must show no coursework in progress and must contain the name of the degree and date on which it was awarded. The course-by-course credit evaluation must determine the institution’s accreditation, degree, credits and course equivalents earned. The evaluation should be sent directly to the Graduate School from the evaluation service.
- This requirement must be completed before October of the first semester of their graduate program. Failure to do so will result in placing a hold on the ability to register for continuing study and may result in termination from the Graduate School.
- Credential evaluations are not required for short-term study abroad experiences sponsored and transcripted through a regionally accredited U.S. institution.
- Department of State Agency applicants (i.e. Fulbright, AMIDEAST, Laspau, or USAID) may upload an unofficial copy of their transcripts in English into the online application. Agencies will submit original transcripts if an offer of acceptance is extended.
All supporting credentials must be in English. Applicants will be given the opportunity to upload unofficial transcripts of academic records issued by every college and university previously attended for review purposes only. Applicants may also have their overseas institution mail official documents to:
The Graduate School
241 Mossman Building
1202 Spring Garden Street
Greensboro, NC 27412