As per the UNC Board of Governors, all students enrolled at UNCG are required to have verifiable health insurance coverage. To ensure this requirement is met, students will automatically be billed for the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) each semester through their student account. Students who have a credible health insurance plan and do not wish to participate in SHIP must submit their active health insurance information by completing an online waiver request through the Student Blue portal prior to the posted deadline each semester.
Eligibility to enroll in SHIP requires:
- Enrollment in a minimum of six credit hours; OR
- Enrollment in a minimum of three credit hours of 799 (Dissertation) for doctoral candidates; OR
- Enrollment in a minimum of three credit hours of 699 (Thesis) for master’s students.
Eligibility for Graduate School contribution towards the premium requires:
- Enrollment as outlined above; AND
- Appointment as a graduate assistant with the minimum stipend below; AND
- Receipt of full tuition support.
The amount available fluctuates each year. GOA appointments are ineligible for a Graduate School contribution.
Minimum Stipend Levels to trigger health insurance contribution.
- $6,000 per year for Master’s students
- $8,000 per year for MFA students
- $9,600 per year for Doctoral students