Non-Degree Studies Applicants

If you are planning to take Graduate courses

Whether you are wishing to explore a graduate program on a part-time basis, renew a teaching licensure, strengthen your graduate application, or simply grow as a student, UNC Greensboro Graduate School welcomes you to take graduate level classes as a non-degree studies student.

Credits earned as a non-degree studies student are recorded in the University Registrar’s Office on an official transcript. Up to nine hours can be applied to a future degree if you choose to enroll in a degree program down the road or three hours may be applied to our certificate programs. Credit earned must fall within the timeline for completing the degree or certificate.

** Please note you will not be able to simultaneously take Online and Greensboro Campus courses. **
**Special information for School of Nursing applicants**

If you are planning to take Undergraduate courses

Even if you have previously earned an undergraduate degree, you must apply through Undergraduate Admissions if you plan to register for undergraduate courses.

** Please note you will not be able to simultaneously take Online and Greensboro Campus courses. **

How To Apply

  • College-level students may apply through Student Portal. The visiting student application fee is $65. Permission to register does not constitute admission to UNCG or any of its programs.
  • High school seniors with superior academic credentials can determine their eligibility by contacting Undergraduate Admissions at 336-334-5243.

Please note: Students attending any of the constituent campuses of the Greater Greensboro Consortium are not considered visiting students.

  • Non-Degree Enrollment Form (Form is located within the Online Application)
    • Start a new application, select the desired term, and then select the Non-Degree option
  • A $25.00 non-refundable fee is charged each semester a non-degree application is submitted.
  • Students with non-U.S. for their current or prior college /university are required to submit a course-by-course evaluation report with the application.
  • A copy of your official transcript showing an undergraduate degree earned is required at the time of application submission.
  • Non-native speakers of English – Submit a score on a language proficiency test taken within the past two years. If the TOEFL is the chosen test, the minimum required score depends on the form of the exam taken: Internet based — 79, or paper based — 20/20/20. A score of at least 6.5 is required on the IELTS. A score of 53 or higher is required for the Pearson Test of English.

Should you apply for more than one semester, you will need to submit a new application each time. Non-degree studies applications must be submitted no later than Wednesday of the first week of classes for the semester.

Students considering later enrollment in a degree program are strongly encouraged to contact their department to determine which course(s) will count toward your degree.

  • No courses below the 500-level will count toward a graduate degree.
  • A maximum of 9 hours in courses numbered 749 and below may be taken as a non-degree studies student and applied to a graduate degree or 3 hours for a certificate. Credit earned must fall within the timeline for completing the degree or certificate.
  • There are restrictions on which classes are available to non-degree students. Contact the department of interest for more information.
  • Some courses have prerequisites or co-requisites, which are noted in the current UNCG Catalog. These requirements must be met before students are allowed to register unless the instructor gives permission for individual students to enroll.
  • Written permission from the instructor and/or department is required for enrollment in a closed or restricted course(s). Students must obtain such permission on a Drop/Add permission form and returned to the University Registrar’s Office (180 Mossman Building).

ProgramSuggested CoursesAdditional Information
AccountingACC 518, ACC 519, ACC 525, 
ACC 531, ACC 602, ACC 604
Contact: Mr. Jess Bankhead
For information:
Applied Arts and SciencesAll MLS 600 level coursesContact: Dr. Muktha Jost
For information:
Applied EconomicsECO 630, ECO 637, ECO 663, 
ECO 664, ECO 625, ECO 631
 MBA 703
Contact: Dr. Dora Gicheva  
For information:
ArtART 529, ART 540Advanced courses require portfolio 
AND instructor permission. Some courses may require prerequisites. 
Contact: Jennifer Meanley 
For information:
BiologyAll 600 level coursesMust have prerequisites or permission from instructor. 
Visiting students are restricted from registering for 
undergraduate BIO coursework. If a student is interested 
in undergraduate BIO coursework they should enroll in the 
Post-baccalaureate Program which is designed for individuals 
that have not completed all of their requirements for health 
professional schools.

Contact: Dr. Jim Coleman 
For information:
Birth-KindergartenHDF 607, HDF 633, HDF 634 
SES 601, SES 602, SES 605
Contact: Dr. Catherine Scott-Little 
For information:
Business Administration MBA 701 SPRING/FALL
Contact: Tuisha Fernandes Stack  
For information:
Chemistry and BiochemistryCHE 536, 553, 555, 556, 557, 570, 632, 641, 656, 661 & 663Contact: Dr. Nicholas Oberlies   
For information:
Communication Studies500 level courses.
600 level courses may be open to non-degree studies
students on a space-available basis.
Contact: Dr. Marianne LeGreco 
For information:
Community and Therapeutic RecreationCTR 611(Fall) and CTR 613 (Spring)Contact: Dr. Benjamin Hickerson 
For information:
Computer ScienceCSC 553, 555, 562, 567, 640, 656, 671Contact: Dr. Somya Mohanty 
For information:
Consumer, Apparel, and Retail StudiesCRS 530, 605, 620Contact: Dr. Jin Su 
For information:
Counseling & Educational DevelopmentCED 574, 613Contact: Dr. DiAnne Borders 
For information:
Dance500 level or above *Space available basis only. 
Some courses may require prerequisites or be 
restricted to admitted graduate students.
Contact: Dr. Mila Parrish 
For information:
Educational Leadership &
 Cultural Foundations
Any 500 level or above ELC courseContact: Dr. Brian Clarida  
For information:
Educational Research MethodologyERM 517, 604, 605, 680Contact: Dr. Kyung Kim 
For information:
English500 level onlyContact: Dr.Amy Vines 
For information:
Geography, Environment, 
and Sustainability
500 level or above
Visiting students should NOT take: 
GES 662, 664, 682, 684, 686, and 688
Contact: Dr. Rick Bunch 
For information:
Gerontology500 level or above (except GRO 679)Contact: Dr. Elise Eifert Freeman 
For information:
Higher EducationHED 601, 602, 747, 749Contact: Dr. Brad Johnson
For information:
History500 level courses EXCEPT 511 and 547Contact: Dr. Jill Bender
For information:
Human Development 
& Family Studies
HDF 606, 607, 633, 651, 652, 653, 655Contact: Dr. Heather Helms or Dr. Catherine Scott-Little
For information:
Information Systems 
& Supply Chain Management
ISM 671 (Fall); ISM 673 (Spring)Contact: Apoorva Ramesh
For information:
Interior ArchitectureSelected IAR courses EXCEPT 501, 502, 602, 631, & 645*Must have related undergrad design degree.
Contact: Mr. Travis Hicks
For more Information:
Kinesiology500 level or aboveContact: Dr. DeAnne Brooks
For information:
Languages, Literatures, 
and Cultures
Students who plan on pursuing an MA degree: 
any 500 level course with an analytical paper
*Ultimately it depends on prior linguistic skills. 
Contact the Graduate Program Director for linguistic evaluation and more information:
Contact (French): Dr. Cybelle McFadden
Contact (Spanish): Dr. Mariche G. Bayonas
For information:
Library & Information StudiesLIS 600, 610 & 620Contact: Dr. Nora Bird
For information:
Mathematics and StatisticsMath: 500 level or above

Statistics: 500 level or above
Contact: Dr. Jonathan Rowell
For information:
Media StudiesMST 515, 526, 527, 528, 620, & 625Contact: Dr. Michael Frierson
Music500 level or aboveContact: Matthew Reese
For information:
NanoscienceNAN 601, 602, 603, 604, 605Contact: Dr. Dennis LaJeunese
For information:
Nutrition500 level or above
Must get the approval of the Department of Nutrition.
Contact: Dr. Jigna Dharod
For information:
Peace and Conflict StudiesPCS 600, 601, 605, 606, 607, 610Contact: Dr. Marcia Hale
For information:
Public AffairsPSC 511, 520, 540Contact: Dr. Hunter Bacot
For information:
Public Health EducationEducation HEA 601, 602, 604, 608, and 645Contact: Dr. Jeff Milroy
For information:
Social WorkAny 500-level elective with permission of departmentContact: Grace Gowdy
For information:
Sociology500 level or above
Registration is evaluated on a case-by-case basis
Contact: Dr. Sarah Daynes
For information:
Special EducationSES 540, 601, 610, 643, 659
Program only allows 3 courses taken as a non-degree seeking student to count toward the M.Ed.
Contact: Dr. Marcie Rock
For information:
Teacher EducationTED 669, 749Contact: Dr. Sam Miller
For information:
TheatreTHR 503, 504, 505, 596Contact: Mr. Jim Wren
For information:
Women’s, Gender, 
and Sexuality Studies
Some limited availability in cross-listed courses is possible, with permission of the instructorContact: Dr. Danielle Bouchard
For information:

To be eligible to enroll, you must:

  • Submit a transcript showing an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited College or University.
  • Not be currently enrolled as a degree student at UNCG.
  • Do not have an application for admission to The Graduate School under review for the same semester.
  • Check with the department of interest (e.g., Art, Business Administration) and meet special requirements that may exist for that department.
  • Non-degree studies students are not eligible for financial aid.
  • Non-native speakers of English must have their proficiency in the English language validated by one of three means:
    • Submit a score on a language proficiency test taken within the past two years. If the TOEFL is the chosen test, the minimum required score depends on the form of the exam taken: Internet based — 79, or paper based — 550. A score of at least 6.5 is required on the IELTS. A score of 53 or higher is required for the Pearson Test of English.
    • Present a baccalaureate or graduate degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S.

Students entering UNC Greensbro through as non-degree studies are not eligible for financial aid. Only recognized University degree programs are considered for financial aid.

Students registering for more than four credit hours of course work in a semester must obtain immunization clearance as required by the State of North Carolina. To obtain additional information about completing this requirement, please see Student Health Services.

For parking information, please call 336-334-5861 or go to

Public school teachers and administrators who wish to take courses solely for licensure renewal credit may do so as a non-degree student. If credit is to be applied to a graduate degree, the student must submit an application to The Graduate School before the completion of the course. If the student meets all requirements for full admission as a graduate degree student, they will receive the licensure renewal credit.

Non-degree students studies students will receive their registration information through email. They will then log into UNCGenie to sign up for classes.

Residency for tuition purposes determines your in-state or out-of-state status and may impact your admission, tuition, scholarship or financial aid eligibility. North Carolina residency for tuition purposes is governed by North Carolina state law. More information about North Carolina residency for tuition purposes can be found on the CFNC Residency Determination Service website.

The UNCG SpartanCard ID is acquired in 106 Moran Commons. A SpartanCard ID allows access to library materials and other facilities such as the dining hall, computer labs, and the student recreation center. For more information, please call 336-334-5651 or go to

When registration is complete, textbooks and supplies may be purchased in the University Bookstore, located in Elliott University Center or on the Bookstore website.

Tuition and fees are due at the time of registration. Registration will not be confirmed until tuition and fees are pain in full. Non-degree students pay the same tuition and fees as graduate degree students at UNC Greensboro.
Separate bills will not be mailed to individuals, but may be viewed online at UNCGenie. Please visit the Cashier’s Office website for Cost of Tuition & Fees.

There are two ways to pay:

  • Online via UNCGenie with a credit card
  • In person at the UNC Greensboro Cashier’s Office in 151 Mossman with a personal check, cash, or money order

Questions regarding tuition, fees, and refunds should be directed to:
Cashiers & Student Accounts Office
151 Mossman Building